I found this recipe a few weeks ago and my family loved it so much, I made it more than once already and now I just have to share it with you for Meatless Monday. It is really easy and healthy and super delicious! The original recipe is here. I didn’t change it a whole lot, but let me share what I did.
First, at the beginning of the day, soak some dry black beans and brown rice. For this meal, I soak one cup of beans and two cups of brown rice. Basically, put them each in a bowl with enough water to cover and leave them for the day.
A few hours before dinner, drain and rinse the beans then put them in a pot with fresh water (again, enough to cover) and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for about 2 minutes, reduce heat to low/medium and cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hours (or until soft). Set aside to use in burrito recipe.
For the rice, you can find a recipe I use often here.
Here’s what I used for the burrito recipe:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- about 2 cups black beans (or one can- I recommend Eden Organic)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (can’t wait to make this with fresh, local corn on the cob)
- 1 jar chipotle salsa
- one handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream for garnish
- One package flour tortillas – I buyMaria and Ricardo’s Organic
Here’s what you do:
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil and add the onion and chili powder. Saute until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn, and 1/2 cup of salsa.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 10 minutes to combine the flavors. Salt and pepper to season.
- While that mingles together, mix the rest of the salsa and chopped cilantro in a bowl.
- On a large grill pan, in a large skillet, or over a fire burner, heat the tortillas for about 20-30 seconds on each side. Wrap them in a cloth napkin or towel to keep warm and set aside.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into about 8 tortillas, fold and serve. They are kind of messy, but that’s part of the fun!
- Serve with a spoonful of sour cream and salsa mixture and a side of Spanish rice!