Since I pretty much cook meatless meals every day of the week they aren’t always the most intricate dishes. Sometimes it’s just about eating something healthy, simple, and seasonal. A meal that will fill everyone up and meets all of those requirements is baked potatoes. They can easily be a meal with the right toppings and plenty to go around the table. Here’s what I used:
- 2 – 3 medium potatoes per person
- olive oil
- 1 package frozen organic broccoli (or a bunch of fresh broccoli if available)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- optional items: chives, scallions, plain Greek yogurt (it’s a great healthy substitute for the traditional sour cream)
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and place in large roasting pan ( be sure to pierce them with a fork)
- Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat potatoes.
- Place the pan in the oven – after 30 minutes turn potatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli and shred the cheese.
- After potatoes have cooked for an additional 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with all of the toppings and enjoy!
Cooking the potatoes with the olive oil and salt and pepper adds such a nice flavor and crispness to the skin, making it more likely the kids will eat them. ( a good thing since they are loaded with nutrients)