I know what you’re thinking right now. It’s been like forever since I posted a Meatless Monday post and you’ve all been eating meat like crazy because I have failed you miserably as a leader. Or maybe, wow Cathy, you’re such a slacker and yeah, we’ve been doing just fine without your Meatless Monday posts and recipes and who needs you anyway! Or maybe you haven’t even noticed at all and are all wondering what the heck this Meatless Monday thing is to begin with. Okay, so regardless, I’m back and I have the most delicious recipe to share with you. Not only is it vegetarian, it’s also vegan, so if you’re into that, awesome!! And another thing. It’s so, so easy that you can’t make the excuse of preparing a healthy meal takes a lot of time because that’s simply not the case with this dish.
Easy Meatless Monday Recipe
Here’s what you need:
- 3 Cups of cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic – I think I actually added 3 or 4 because we LOVE garlic
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger – use more depending on your taste
- 1 block (14 ounces) extra firm tofu – squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible and cut into cubes
- about 1 cup of fresh broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 4 small carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 bunch of scallions, chopped into small rounds
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cook the rice and set it aside to cool
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat – oh, my new love is my wok!
- Add the oil and saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant
- Add the tofu and gently toss until browned. (I actually turned the heat up a bit to get some good browning on mine as I don’t like *squishy* tofu.) It was honestly the best I’ve personally ever prepared tofu.
- Remove the tofu and set aside
- Turn the heat back down to medium and add a bit more oil to the pan
- Add the carrots and broccoli and stir fry for 2-4 minutes
- Add the rice and peas and stir fry another 2-4 minutes to heat it all through
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to combine everything
- Add the tofu and scallions and stir one more time
The most important step comes next. Enjoy the heck out of this dish! And if you are the wild and crazy type, eat it with chop sticks, but if you love it as much as me, you will put them down and attack it with a fork because it’s that good.
Okay, one more little tiny request, leave me a comment. Tell me this at least sounds and looks good even if you don’t plan to make it. And if it doesn’t sound good to you, leave me a comment telling me that too because any comment is a good comment when you’re a blogger.